Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 4, 2013: A Journey of Faith Update

In my last post I facetiously mentioned that I no longer knew what my original hair color was. I suppose when you make a comment like that, you have to be prepared for someone else to provide photographic evidence to assist your failing memory. Sure enough, my old friend Lani just happened to have a couple of photographs dating back to the stone ages that she was more than happy to share.

The first photo is of Lani (on the right) and I on her wedding day, June 10, 1972. I was her maid of honor, as she was mine to my first husband so many years ago. Lani has blonde hair, so I'm thinking my darker hair is probably a few shades lighter than shown in the photo. Our friendship was very tight all through high school years, but we lost touch for a long time after she and her hubby, Jim, moved to Maine. We finally reconnected a few years ago. 

The second photo was taken in 1977 and supposedly shows my original hair color. I'm sharing this one mainly because it just goes to prove to those of you who know me now that I've always hated having my picture taken! (And because I really loved that sweater! Wonder what ever happened to it?)


The third photo is a recent one of the "preemptive strike" hairdo, since my hair is due to fall out any time now. (Mike is really not looking forward to that, since he's going to shave it off for me when it starts falling out. Probably this weekend.) I asked Mike and Nick which of many photos they liked best, and the one that I put on the blog home page was their favorite. (I was overruled.) The one on the last post was their runner-up choice, but I liked this one best. What do you think?

April 4:  Chemo Day #2

Today was chemotherapy treatment day, round two, and there was plenty of good news to share.

Before starting the treatment, I met with the oncologist for an exam and chat session. He told me that upon examination, it appears that the tumor has already shrunk from the first round of chemo! (Of course, I know it's also because of my faith in the blessing.) In addition, he said that my body has tolerated the chemo so well that I don't need to go in for blood work and a checkup in between chemo sessions! He did say that the side effects are cumulative, so this week's side effects should be similar to but stronger than last week's. But at least I know what to expect this time around, so I can be better prepared to handle them. The worst effects were the fatigue and nausea last time, so I'm expecting more of the same this week.

Sure enough, the nausea started kicking in around 7:00 tonight. I took a nausea pill, which so far has kept the waves of nausea at bay for the most part; at least I'm not throwing up. Hallelujah! The side effects last time seemed to intensify for about five days before starting to lessen a little each day. So I expect that I'll be sleeping a lot this weekend, and working on my deadline in between naps. :) 

I had a long chat with Karen, my treatment nurse, as she was doing the chemo injections today and learned a lot. She has worked for various smaller oncologist offices around the area, but likes working at this oncologist office because of the checks and balances they have in place to make sure each patient is given the correct drug, in the correct amounts, and the correct way. There are two pharmacists on staff to mix the drugs, and two nurses check the prepared drugs against the script and against my personal information before any treatment begins. (A lot of the smaller offices she worked at do not have these checks and balances.) The office also uses a programmable drip machine rather than relying on the nurse to get back to each patient when positive medication pressure is completed before negative pressure starts pumping blood back up the IV. Some of my medical friends may want to correct what I've tried to describe, but that's the way I understood what she was saying.

Karen also told me that the chemo I received last week was a "super" chemo session, or very strong one. I didn't remember that being explained to me last week, but Mike said he did. Oh well, that's why I brought him along ... to remember things my brain couldn't.

I didn't let Mike come with me to this treatment. I remember feeling OK after I left it last time, and assumed I would this time as well. Sure enough, I was OK to drive afterwards; and my exam nurse, Michelle, assured me that I didn't need to have Mike attend each chemo session with me. That's three hours of b-o-r-i-n-g for him if he comes, and three hours of READING for me if he doesn't!! Reading won. :)

Suzanne's Suggestion

My dear friend Suzanne emailed me after my first post and asked that I include in my next post a "wish list" for my local friends who want to be proactive in any way, and so I'm including her request here. I guess if you'd like to help our family in some way, leave a comment or email me. I would like to say that the cards and emails you've all been sending have meant so much to me. It's so nice to get something in the mail besides bills and junk! Brandie gave me a gift tin when I was first diagnosed that has ended up being the perfect place to hold all the cards, spiritual messages and printed emails to reread when things head south for a while.

I know that there are going to be times that I need help, and I'm not going to be afraid to ask for it because I know there are days that are going to be overwhelming. But by the same token, I won't take advantage by accepting help when it's not needed. So if I don't call, please know that things are OK here. We are having good days too!

Spiritual Thought

I want to share a spiritual thought that Sandra shared with me back when I was first diagnosed. This thought resides front and center on my monitor and I look at it daily because it brings me such strength. It's from "Christ Overrules Our Fears" by David A. Bednar:

"To not take counsel from our fears means that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ overrules our fears and that we can press forward with a steadfastness in Him. To not take counsel from our fears means that we trust in God's guidance, assurance, and timing in our lives."

As Cindy told me when I was first diagnosed, sometimes the Lord has to slow us down and make us reassess our priorities. I know that I've been running faster than I'm able for a long while now. The blessing Mike gave me told me I'd have the strength and energy to do everything that I needed to for my work, my calling and my family; and I have. Despite the rough days, I've managed to keep up with the most important things. Because God's timing is perfect and everything is falling into place around His timing.

No comments: